This study is packed with 129 measures worth of thick harmonies carefully connected together to create a melodic chord solo. Written at 300bpm, it also comes with tracks at a slower tempo for your practice.
Developing jazz guitarists can discover new voicings and (more importantly) learn how to use them, while advancing players will also enjoy the challenge of getting it up to tempo!
As you play through it, pay particular attention to:
- Growing your II-V-I chord vocabulary - which voicings are new, interesting, or are being used in a way you hadn't thought of?
- Voice leading - how nearby chords flow seamlessly from one to the next
- Balance - how the top note is always clear, articulate, and in balance with the rest of the chord
- Articulations - how they are used, along with dynamics, to shape the performance
- Development - note how chords in the lower range are initially used before climbing to the higher register later in the study. In combination with the previous concepts, the study presents clear musical ideas and and solo with a developmental arc.
This is the most in-depth and thorough chord study in the catalog so far, and the application of the chords and concepts should be revisited and applied to other standard tunes over weeks and months so as to internalize the ideas.